We believe that people from all nations contribute to the success of students.

You can make a life-changing impact on children. Let us help you earn your degree and become a certified teacher.

If you are a Non-US Citizen living in the US legally and looking to earn your bachelor’s degree and become a certified teacher in the US, please note our standard program requirements:

  1. High School Graduate
  2. If transferring college credits, those credits must come from an Accredited University
  3. Transferred college credits must meet the minimum 2.5 GPA overall.

In addition to the above, the following steps may also be required:

  1. Submit valid immigration documentation to your PIU Online Advisor.
  2. Review the information provided by the Department of Homeland Security for students from outside the US here.
  3. Possibly take the TOEFL or other English Proficiency Exam.

If you are a Non-US Citizen living outside the US and looking to earn your bachelor’s degree, we can enroll you in our online program.  Note: you will need to obtain teacher certification in your home country after completing your bachelor’s degree with PIU Online.

You will need to submit documentation verifying that you are a High School Graduate and you will need to take an exam to demonstrate English Proficiency.

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

The TOEFL® (Test of English as a Foreign Language™) covers all facets of English proficiency, including a test of spoken English. TOEFL iBT (internet based) measures reading, listening, speaking and writing skills and takes approximately 4.5 hours. It is offered on computer 30-40 times a year at test centers throughout the world.

The following score requirements may be necessary for entry into the program:

  • Speaking score of 24
  • Listening score of 22
  • Reading score of 22
  • Writing score of 21
Where can I take the TOEFL Test?
Who is exempt?

The countries listed below have been approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement specified in 19 TAC §230.11(b)(5)(C). To be exempted from the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) testing requirement specified in 19 TAC §230.11(b)(5)(B), a certification candidate must have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution of higher education on the SBEC-approved list of countries.

List of Exempt Countries
  • American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Grand Cayman
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • Liberia
  • Nigeria
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Trinidad/Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos
  • U.S. Pacific Trust
  • United Kingdom

Transcript Evaluation Services

If you received your associates degree from a Non-U.S. College or University, you must have your foreign transcripts evaluated and translated before we can begin reviewing your educational background.

The Evaluation must be “course by course”, equivalent to a U.S. degree, and include the following information:

  • GPA
  • Conferred graduation date
  • Language of instruction

Approved Service Providers 

A complete list of providers known to the Texas Education Agency as following the standards of recognized national organizations of foreign credential evaluators may be found on TEA website below.